I attended the "Mask and Mirror" AND the "Book of Secrets" concerts in Toronto back

I attended the "Mask and Mirror" AND the "Book of Secrets" concerts in Toronto back in the late 90s /early 2000...RAPTURE. I was completely transported; it was like being in another world; the venue (Massey Hall)and the music was like something out of a DREAM; my friend and I actually CRIED when the concert was over!

But that being said, I will remark that the LAST concert of hers I saw [again, at Massey Hall; "An Ancient Muse", I think] was an UNMITIGATED DISASTER.The reason: Loreena included a ROCK DRUMMER in her musician lineup...and it was AWFUL. The horrid pounding and banging and CRASHING gave me a MIGRAINE, and to say that THIS particular concert was "not up to standard" is in the nature of a GROSS UNDERSTATEMENT. (WHAT WAS SHE THINKING!!!)

If I wanted to hear "rock drummers" I would have gone to a ROCK CONCERT. As it was, even the music was AWFUL; I had a musician friend with me, and afterwards she said "Too bad they didn't play "The Mummers' Dance" I turned to her and said "They DID play it!. You just didn't recognize it, it was played so BADLY!" And it was TRUE. She had thought the concert 'not so bad' but once I said that about the "Mummers' Dance" she conceded that it had in fact been a TOTAL FIASCO,and a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT, compared to the other concert we had seen!

I tell you: I was REAL, REAL disillusioned,I even thought "If THIS is the direction Loreena is going in with her music, well, "you can include me out"! I can get "crashy-bangy" crap music ANYWHERE!"

I even sent a e-mail of COMPLAINT to Quinlan Road, and got a sort of snippy reply essentially telling me that this "rock drummer" thing was in the nature of "musical innovation" and basically, that if I didn't like it, well, too bad for me!

That was even WORSE. "Musical innovation" is when you do things that NO ONE ELSE is doing, not when you incorporate something that is as "common as mud"; it looked more to me like "sellout to commercial interests" rather than any "musical innovation" that I had ever seen! After this obnoxious reply, I basically wrote Loreena and her music off; obviously she was "selling out" and any sort of "constructive criticism' was not welcome or wanted. Big Business: 1, Artistic Integrity: 0

But, I have listened to this latest offering [the Celtic music] and to my GREAT RELIEF the music is EXACTLY what I have come to expect from Loreena, and NOT A ROCK DRUMMER TO BE HEARD ANYWHERE! >wipes brow<

(The ONLY thing I could suggest as an "improvement" is MORE penny whistle; I LOVE the Irish penny whistle, so moving and evocative, it always brings tears to my eyes!)

Welcome back, the Loreena musical style I LOVE so much!
Original Post
Thank you Lilith.
And thank you QR for posting it.

It's good also to read some of the negative response.

To be honest I've actually avoided this section til now. Also because I had to rethink before posting some critic.

I must admit, I've made a crime... I have been listening to the album songs on YouTube! Red Face

I felt the opposite as many of you with this new album.
Hearing the teasers I thought; what is this? Did they forget to re-listen to the recordings?
It isn’t bad. But I feel it's nothing near the previous standard.

Yes, Loreena still has her wonderful voice – it goes straight to my heart.

I like this part in Lilith’s post:
quote:
Originally posted by Lilith:
I even sent a e-mail of COMPLAINT to Quinlan Road, and got a sort of snippy reply essentially telling me that this "rock drummer" thing was in the nature of "musical innovation" and basically, that if I didn't like it, well, too bad for me!

That was even WORSE. "Musical innovation" is when you do things that NO ONE ELSE is doing, not when you incorporate something that is as "common as mud"; it looked more to me like "sellout to commercial interests" rather than any "musical innovation" that I had ever seen! After this obnoxious reply, I basically wrote Loreena and her music off; obviously she was "selling out" and any sort of "constructive criticism' was not welcome or wanted. Big Business: 1, Artistic Integrity: 0

But I think this goes to the new recording – everyone is like going back to their roots these days! Nothing new in that.
And I’d like to hear what the “music innovation” in going back is? Is it some kind of revival?

Well, maybe my little dislike is something that will pass – like it did with the first album ‘Elemental’.
I’ve always found it a bit like cheating, singing others songs. The original singer/composer knows exactly which emotions to express when singing – an art very few master imitating – it is after all the singer/composers song! Smiler (Need I say they knew what they felt as they wrote it.)
I have to add though; Loreena is one of those few.
But after like 4 albums with her own songs (The Visit, The Mask and Mirror, The Book of Secrets and An Ancient Muse), I feel a bit disappointed, as to the above.

I just have to listen a little more. Maybe by the end of that thinking the album will have gotten a bit cheaper. Wink

Thanks for reading (/posting).


Anxious 2
quote:
Originally posted by Anxious 2:
...But after like 4 albums with her own songs (The Visit, The Mask and Mirror, The Book of Secrets and An Ancient Muse)...


Parallel Dreams was mostly made up of her own songs too! Annachie Gordon was the only song which was not composed by her...
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
quote:
Originally posted by Anxious 2:
...But after like 4 albums with her own songs (The Visit, The Mask and Mirror, The Book of Secrets and An Ancient Muse)...


Parallel Dreams was mostly made up of her own songs too! Annachie Gordon was the only song which was not composed by her...


Thanks Jesse Smiler
That's why I wrote 'like' - ...after like 4 albums...
Maybe my english doesn't have quite the right grammar. Wink Hope you can bear with me...

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×