Loreena Mckennitt and Metal Fans

I was just wondering how many other Loreena Mckennitt fans out there are also metal heads, or at least listen to a fair amount of heavy metal? I feel like I'm probably not the only one, and I was a bit curious to see how popular she is among people who like heavier music. I feel like metal (certain sub-genres, at least) has a lot in common with Celtic and folk music, particularly in terms of instrumental/lyrical complexity and emotion, even though some listeners tend to get overwhelmed by the loudness and speed of metal. Also, if you are a fan of both, what kinds of metal do you enjoy? I just want to see if there are stronger correlations with some of the more "folky" metal sub-genres or if that's an irrelevant detail.

Original Post

Hi, I am! And I agree with you and I have also read somewhere once that many that listens to metal also listen to a lot of classical music, could be hard to believe, but the reason to it was that both genres share focus on strong musical elements, dynamics, symphonic and more. And I guess Celtic and folk music could fit into those bits to.

My main metal genres are symphonic metal, gothic metal, nu-metal, alt-metal, power metal. Can you recommend any folk metal bands?

And then there were three...

I also, am a huge fan of metal, and mostly for the reasons already discussed. Old school to most of the newer metal bands have a majority position on my MP3 player. The next but not least space is dedicated to more “ contemporary “, if you will, artists. The talent and skill involved in playing these genres of music is quite involved if you really sit down and listen to it. Can’t really do metal bands that have a vocalist that sounds like they’re tying to eat a microphone. I prefer a “singer”. I dig bluegrass too. Those dudes can shred...

Add Reply

Likes (0)