Photos during a concert, some thought

Hello everybody,

I like photography, pictures, I do a lot of them myself. But, during a concert, I never get a camera with me.

Music is something particular: it does exist only because time pass. Photography is the opposite: it freezes the time.

If I get a photography, I freeze the time... and this stops the music as well.

We all have CDs but in a concert, we live - together - something very different. It is the same emotion shared by many people. These moments are fragile, delicate and rare.

Taking pictures at this moment would break the magic, would be intrusive for others, and frustrating.

For me it is far more important to *live* something I will remember for a long time instead of having pictures and miss some of the magic.

Jean-Luc
Original Post
When the lights came up on the stage as Loreena began to play her first song in DC, someone took a photo and the audience's reaction to the flash was a collective tone of disapproval. A security guard promptly attended to the problem, and I don't know what the outcome was, but it stated in the program that anyone using recording devices during the concert would be removed.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Betty:
...but someone photos...without flash...
where is the problem? QUOTE]

Hi Betty,

In Loreena's own words (http://www.quinlanroad.com/performances/performances.asp):

"...even though cameras have evolved to the extent that one can take photos without flashes going off, not everyone knows how to do this..."

and:

"Then there is the slightly thornier issue of taking photos of someone where permission has not been sought..."
quote:
Originally posted by Betty:
I think that is very exessive of no take photos(or pictures in english..)during the concert...
before was possible...and now no...I understand camera digital..flash,but someone photos...without flash...
where is the problem?
Betty from Italy!
The problem is this: If the person does not wish for their photo to be taken without their permission, then do not take the photo. Loreena has, many times, expressed her wish that NO PHOTOS be taken during her concerts. It is more than rude to ignore such a wish.

Here is another part of the problem: When the "paparazzi" start in with their cameras, it isn't just the "celebrity" who can be in danger -- often it is the bystander who has to run for cover, simply because the paparazzi are so focused on getting that "money shot" they take no heed of anyone else. I am sure that you have seen some of the tabloid papers, with photos of some celebrity who has stumbled; they are often described as being "drunk" or "drugged out", with the fact of their stumbling in public as "proof" (when all that happened was they slipped on a pebble or something).

At a rock-n-roll concert I would expect to see hundreds of flashes every second (they usually have a lot of flames or such obnoxious thing all around them on the stage, anyway), but not at one of Loreena's concerts. Consider: The concert hall is dark, the mood relaxing -- and then the stage is lit up by a bright, glaring lighting-flash style strobe light. What do you think that would do to the people on the stage? How would it affect you, if you were on the stage? We should be more thoughtful of the artists on the stage than that. Loreena deserves respect, and she should get it first from us, her fans. If anyone near me uses a flash during the concert, I will be sorely tempted to take their camera and stomp it into tiny pieces of electronic garbage -- I will be there to see Loreena and her group, not to be blinded by some idiot who cannot show the respect due to others.

--Artúr
quote:
You know... If Loreena McKennitt say "No pictures"... then you don't take pictures... It's that simple.

Yeah. If people were willing to listen to her and respect her wishes it would be that simple. Some people, alas, are incapable of complying with even the most reasonable of requests, so that's why you need venue staff ready to pounce on a moment's notice. There were, well, not many, but several noticeable flashes at the concert earlier in Asheville, and I admit I was a little annoyed at each one.

Eventually, it needs to come down to this:

Performer: "Hello, audience, if you'd be so kind, I would appreciate it if you didn't take pictures during the concert. On a related noted, I'd like you to meet Phil. Phil is 6'11" and 400 lbs. of muscle. If you are caught taking a picture, Phil will take you outside and have a 'discussion' with you about concert etiquette.
Was only my opinion...I respect the wish of Loreena ,but for me is exessive this thing for the pictures....is only my opion ...I'm photograph ,photograph and no paparazzi..!is different...remember!I have taken photos for 10 years in celtic concerts and without disturb the artists...and I asked always them permission (as to Alan Stivell,Hevia,and others band irish or sottish...)I was not intention of
to be rude with Loreena...
sorry for my english.
Betty
quote:
Originally posted by First Of The Fallen:
[QUOTE]
Performer: "Hello, audience, if you'd be so kind, I would appreciate it if you didn't take pictures during the concert. On a related noted, I'd like you to meet Phil. Phil is 6'11" and 400 lbs. of muscle. If you are caught taking a picture, Phil will take you outside and have a 'discussion' with you about concert etiquette.

hahah nice!! Big Grin
quote:
Was only my opinion...I respect the wish of Loreena ,but for me is exessive this thing for the pictures....is only my opion ...I'm photograph ,photograph and no paparazzi..!is different...remember!I have taken photos for 10 years in celtic concerts and without disturb the artists...and I asked always them permission (as to Alan Stivell,Hevia,and others band irish or sottish...)I was not intention of
to be rude with Loreena...
sorry for my english.
Betty
Betty, we know that you did not intend any offense, or anything of the sort...but since there are those people who simply refuse to use a camera without a flash, Loreena has asked that photographs NOT be taken during the concert. Why is always those few idiots who are the ones to wreck things for those who have a brain and know how to use it?

And, Betty, your grasp of the English language, while not perfect, is far from unintelligible. I have seen much worse from "highly educated" Harvard graduates -- who think that the use of long or archaic difficult-to-pronounce words is a sign of great knowledge and wisdom!

--Artúr
quote:
Are you american?
ciao Betty.
Uh, guilty as charged! Big Grin And before you ask...if you are planning to ask...No, I do not agree with certain U.S. politicians and/or their policies at all.

I do the best I can to understand what others say, so that quarrels might be reduced and truth may be upheld.

--Artúr

Add Reply