Someone had to do it...

Anxious - It's so hard to pick a favourite so early, isn't it? I fell in love with Star of the County Down as soon as I heard those initial Uilleann Pipe notes, so I voted for that one! Although I must say, I really LOVE the title track! They're all so good, of course, but I didn't want to add a "I LOVE THEM ALL" option, becaouse I figured everyone would vote for that!

Mask and Mirror - It's nice to hear some positive reviews of TDOQJ; I've talked to heaps of other fan who are actually not that impressed with it! Frowner I'll admit it: it's not my personal favourite, but I agree that it is very moving!
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
Anxious - It's so hard to pick a favourite so early, isn't it? I fell in love with Star of the County Down as soon as I heard those initial Uilleann Pipe notes, so I voted for that one! Although I must say, I really LOVE the title track! They're all so good, of course, but I didn't want to add a "I LOVE THEM ALL" option, becaouse I figured everyone would vote for that!

Mask and Mirror - It's nice to hear some positive reviews of TDOQJ; I've talked to heaps of other fan who are actually not that impressed with it! Frowner I'll admit it: it's not my personal favourite, but I agree that it is very moving!

It pierced my heart the first time i listened to it!I don't know..I think there's something magical,deeply emotional, in the melody;maybe it's also due to the fact that this song deals with history,which i love and study..you know jane seymour,one of the wives of Henry VIII Wink
By the way..why does jane ask to open his right side?Maybe she was obsessed by the idea of losing her baby? Hi Jesse!
quote:
Originally posted by Mask and Mirror:
...maybe it's also due to the fact that this song deals with history,which i love and study..you know jane seymour,one of the wives of Henry VIII Wink
By the way..why does jane ask to open his right side?Maybe she was obsessed by the idea of losing her baby? Hi Jesse!


I've been a fairly keen student of that part of history in England as well! As soon as I heard Loreena sing about "King Henry" when I first heard the song, I was like "Oh! THAT Queen Jane!"

I have no idea why she wanted her right side opened so desperately. If I was to guess, I'd say that she never actually said that, but whoever wrote the song just used those lyrics as they may have been more significant for cultural reasons at that time, and/or also because they probably fitted in with the rest of the lyrics/melody in a way that the composer couldn't resist.

HELLOES! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
quote:
Originally posted by Mask and Mirror:
...maybe it's also due to the fact that this song deals with history,which i love and study..you know jane seymour,one of the wives of Henry VIII Wink
By the way..why does jane ask to open his right side?Maybe she was obsessed by the idea of losing her baby? Hi Jesse!


I've been a fairly keen student of that part of history in England as well! As soon as I heard Loreena sing about "King Henry" when I first heard the song, I was like "Oh! THAT Queen Jane!"

I have no idea why she wanted her right side opened so desperately. If I was to guess, I'd say that she never actually said that, but whoever wrote the song just used those lyrics as they may have been more significant for cultural reasons at that time, and/or also because they probably fitted in with the rest of the lyrics/melody in a way that the composer couldn't resist.

HELLOES! Big Grin

who knows! Wink
I have to say that before, when I had only the mp3 songs that I received from Maple Music, I didn't like of many songs (they where annoying, except for 3 of them).

But when I received the original cd last week, the soud was completely different! Much better! I couldn't believe! (maybe when I recorded the mp3 files on a Cd, i did something wrong - probably the speed) ¬¬' *shame on me*

So I began to feel what I only could read, the beauty of the songs, the instruments, everything! (especially "The Wind that Shakes the Barley").

Now I'm not sure of my favourite, but I will choice "As I Roved Out", I really liked what Loreena did with that song! Big Grin
You know this is so hard because I truly LOVE them all and each one hits me at a different time in different ways and so they are all my favorites. So I just voted for As I Roved Out as I do love how she sang the song. It follows me where ever I go until some other song infiltrates my head.
I need to find the lyrics.
Thanks Jesse for finally doing this!!!
Love ya!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Gina:
I need to find the lyrics.


They are here on the QR website! Click here:LYRICS!

Actually, as wonderful as the song is, the lyrics are actually rather mundane...even vulgar, some might say! (it's basically about a one night stand. I very much hope that my saying so has not spoiled the song for anyone! Red Face)

quote:
Thanks Jesse for finally doing this!!!
Love ya!!!


You're very welcome, Gina. LUV U 2! Big Grin
It's really hard to choose but I picked "The Star of the county down" I love that song, everytime I listen it, I become joyful . The all album is great but my others favourites are "As I roved out", "Down by the sally gardens" and the awesome "Emigration tunes". I love the fact Loreena made a pure celtic album, For me it's the most celtic one, her voice stayed the same thourgh years.

I heard about her new project (in an interview) that she'd record in a german castle a hybrid between celtic and northern europe music and new instruments. I can't wait, another masterpiece for sure !! Sorry for the little off topic but I had to share my happiness !! ^^
Thanks you so very much Jesse!!! You are right about the lyrics and since I clicked the link before I finished reading your post, you didn't spoil the song. Actually, I heard Loreena singing it in my head, ever so sweetly!!!
Love ya back,
Gina

quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
quote:
Originally posted by Gina:
I need to find the lyrics.


They are here on the QR website! Click here:LYRICS!

Actually, as wonderful as the song is, the lyrics are actually rather mundane...even vulgar, some might say! (it's basically about a one night stand. I very much hope that my saying so has not spoiled the song for anyone! Red Face)

quote:
Thanks Jesse for finally doing this!!!
Love ya!!!


You're very welcome, Gina. LUV U 2! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
Actually, as wonderful as the song is, the lyrics are actually rather mundane...even vulgar, some might say! (it's basically about a one night stand. I very much hope that my saying so has not spoiled the song for anyone! Red Face)

Shame on you Jesse! This was a spoiler i needn't have... Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Anxious 2:
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
Actually, as wonderful as the song is, the lyrics are actually rather mundane...even vulgar, some might say! (it's basically about a one night stand. I very much hope that my saying so has not spoiled the song for anyone! Red Face)

Shame on you Jesse! This was a spoiler i needn't have... Big Grin


*spanks himself*
quote:
Originally posted by Mask and Mirror:
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:
quote:
Originally posted by Mask and Mirror:
...maybe it's also due to the fact that this song deals with history,which i love and study..you know jane seymour,one of the wives of Henry VIII Wink
By the way..why does jane ask to open his right side?Maybe she was obsessed by the idea of losing her baby? Hi Jesse!


I've been a fairly keen student of that part of history in England as well! As soon as I heard Loreena sing about "King Henry" when I first heard the song, I was like "Oh! THAT Queen Jane!"

I have no idea why she wanted her right side opened so desperately. If I was to guess, I'd say that she never actually said that, but whoever wrote the song just used those lyrics as they may have been more significant for cultural reasons at that time, and/or also because they probably fitted in with the rest of the lyrics/melody in a way that the composer couldn't resist.

HELLOES! Big Grin

who knows! Wink


I heard this song many years ago when Meav performed it on her album, and it seems to me that she wanted a cesarian section performed! Doesn't it? Maybe I am just confused! But maybe she thought if the baby was taken out sooner she wouldn't die, and Henry was afraid of losing the child, and her..? I'm not sure! haha! But that song is beautiful and sad! especially the way Loreena sings it! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Mask and Mirror:
By the way..why does jane ask to open his right side?Maybe she was obsessed by the idea of losing her baby?


Well, as I understood she asks him to cut her open to take out her baby so it could live. Does it make sense? The first c-section where both, mother and child suvived, was performed at the 16 th century, but it still was really rare at this time, mostly performed in order to save the child's life as the mother died during childbirth.

I love all of the songs on this album, so yeah, a I-love-them-all button would be great Big Grin
But if I do have to choose, I'll take As I Roved Out 'cause I totally love the way LM sings it. Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Flying Flamingo:
Down by the Sally Gardens

and


Fhear A Bhata

one of my favorite most gorgeous irish songs of all time as only Loreena can sing it and interpret it!


Has Loreena ever sung Fhear a Bhata? I've heard it done by Niamh Parsons...sure you're not confusing the two?

Add Reply

×
×
×
×